Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tomorrow. The Big 2-4

Tomorrow marks a pretty important milestone (probably mostly in my mind). I will be 24 weeks tomorrow. Doesn't really sound like a super important date, does it? Not like 30 weeks or 20 weeks....the major ones. But 24 weeks is pretty darn important.

We are at the edge of viability this week. Meaning, if this baby (God forbid. Please don't let it happen!) was born at 24 weeks, she would have about a 50% chance of surviving. Now, no one in their right mind would be happy to have a 24 weeker. The chances of something going wrong are still **tremendous**. Not to mention, if the baby did survive-there's a huge possibility of disabilities. But still. Twenty Four weeks is considered viability. That means that everyday my baby girl is safely in my womb, her chances of survival go up each day by 3-4%. At something like 28 weeks, survival is up to 90%. She's getting stronger and healthier. I think that's pretty damn amazing.

Now, having said all this....I'm sending up a prayer to God for our little girl to stay safely in me until at least 37 weeks <3 p="p">
In other news. My friend T just found out she's having a healthy baby girl! T is only 13 1/2 weeks pregnant and, at 43 years old with no husband or significant other, went to my clinic to try to get pregnant with donor sperm and her own eggs. She was on the verge of giving up after 3 or 4 IVF cycles. She had never seen a positive test, never had any frozen left over. Well-she got pregnant! She has since graduated back to the OB (she's using mine) and they gave her a new blood test (Maternity 21 I believe it is called) which can detect all the trisonomies (sp).  Anyway-the baby came back with a clean bill of health and they were able to determine that she's a she! T is over and above the moon! I'm so happy for her. She's had it rough in the past with taking in a foster baby at 6 weeks, only to lose him to his drug addled parents at one year (yeah, because that's how our system works). She will be a wonderful mother. And she lives about 5 minutes from my house. So there will hopefully be a lot of play dates in our future.

Our little girl is moving up a storm. I love feeling it. I think I feel more this time around because my placenta is not anterior. We are about 80% set on the name Hayden. Now we just need to decide on a middle name. I like Hayden Olivia, because I think it flows nicely. Dan isn't so sure. Some of our other options are Hayden Caroline, Hayden Daniella and Hayden Adria (Adria for Dan's grandfather who passed the day before we found out we were pregnant. His name was Adrianus. But we are not going there, lol). Any thoughts on the middle name?

We probably won't think about doing anything with the nursery until the end of February. Dan's sister, husband and their little boy will be coming to visit from Australia for two weeks in February. So they will need to use the guest room/baby's room-to-be. Not to mention, we might need to temporarily move Alex to the guest bedroom too, as we are having some water leakage issues in the closet of her room...which means a new sub flooring and replacing the carpet. Ugh. So yeah. This baby might not have a room until she is six months old! I'm trying to not let it bug me. It's not important in the scheme of things. But I just like having things set.

Anyway...I continue to pray that this baby will be born safely and be healthy and normal. I never truly relax until the baby is in my arms.


No comments:

Post a Comment