Thursday, December 9, 2010

The First "Real" Injury

It had to happen sooner than later. Yep, I'm talking about the first injury...the first "real" injury that would freak this mama out. Let me preface this by saying that I hate blood. I hate seeing it, I hate smelling it. That goes triple + for it being my own child's blood!

This is what happened: Alexandra was in Dan's office pulling herself up on the dogs' crate. This is not unusual-she's been pulling herself up on anything and everything that stays still long enough for her to get a grip (dogs, cat, me, furniture....etc). She happened to fall-which normally is no big deal. Babies fall. However, this time when she fell, her little bottom baby tooth went into her lip and YUP-went straight through it :( :(

Understandably, Alex let out a blood-curdling scream (the kind where you KNOW something is really wrong) and I ran into the office. Dan had her and I saw blood going down her chin. And it was a good amount too! No one wants to see their child bleeding, but it's especially scary when it's the first actual war wound and they haven't had an injury before. Thank God Dan was there...because it seriously scared the heck out of me!

Anyway, we brought her into the kitchen and tried to stop the bleeding. What I didn't know is that lips bleed A LOT. Not to get graphic, but there was blood down the front of her, on me, on Dan, on the burp cloth that we were holding to her lip. I called my best friend, Jill, while Dan was tending to Alex...Jill is an RN. She gave me some tips for stopping the blood. Eventually, it did stop. And while I am absolutely sure that it was painful, after awhile Alexandra was crying more from being pissed off about what happened and tired than anything else. In the end, we got her cleaned up and she fell asleep on my lap with a bottle.

Yep...this is the nerve-wracking side to parenthood, one of the many!

Just to update....Alex is fine this AM. I expected her to wake up with a swollen lip and some bruising, but it looks just like a medium sized cut on her lip-not too bad....phhhewwww!

No comments:

Post a Comment