Monday, September 26, 2011

Appointment Change :)

So I received a call today from my fertility center. They had a cancellation for Tuesday, December 6 at 9am :) My original appointment was scheduled for the end of December-the 29th to be exact. So, of course, I took the new appointment. Yeah, it may only be three weeks and change earlier, but three weeks is three weeks. It's three weeks that I don't have to wait! I'll take it. And who knows? Maybe another cancellation will come up for even earlier. So as of now...my appointment is 10 weeks from tomorrow! Seems like a long time, but we have soooo much going on this fall that I think the time will fly.

I'm also debating about our protocol. I had success with conceiving Alex on our first Gonal F and IUI cycle. I cannot go back to Clomid because of the side effects it gives me. Basically, I had vision changes while on it (one of the more serious-and rare-side effects) and was told that I can never go on it again. So that leaves injections/IUI or going straight to IVF.

I never before considered going straight to IVF, but my new insurance is fantastic and will pay for three IVF cycles. So in some ways, I'd like to just go for the big guns. But then, in other ways, I feel like I should begin with the most minimally invasive procedure, in our case-IUI.

I guess I'm also nervous about going right to IVF because it's like "what now?" if the IVF fails. It's kind of the "end all be all". I would be so nervous that the three cycles would not take and then we would be paying out of pocket. I guess I would just fear that it would feel like we were running out of options-whereas doing IUI first-I would know that we have IVF in our back pocket, if needs be. Make sense?

So it's oh so very tempting to just start with IVF, but I don't know that it is the wisest decision. We'll probably stick to the original plan of injections with IUI. Either way-Thank God for this technology! Thank God that I even have a choice amongst which procedures to start with. Twenty-five years ago, I wouldn't have been as lucky.

 This is how she likes going down the slide

 She got braver and tried the bigger, covered slide

And finally...Alex got really brave and went down the spiral big kid slide. Look at her long 19 month legs ;p She doesn't take after me, that's for sure!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I followed your link on the comment you made on 999 reasons to laugh at infertility blog. Anyways, I thought you might be interested to know that where I live (in Texas) some fertility clinics have an IVF package deal where you can prepay for 3 treatments for the price of 2. Or another deal was prepaying for 3-4 treatments and if it didn't work then they gave you a chunk of you money back. I don't know how that would work with insurance but I thought it was kinda funny to know you have these options. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARE YOU SERIOUS???? 3 IVF cycles paid!!!??? You are crazy if you don't use it! Ofcourse it will work for you!!!! You have a child, so you know that your eggs are good, and that you can carry to term! Your chances would be very good (that is, if your clinic has good SART ratings)
    IVF is NOT the end all be all. I know I can get pregnant with IUI's and INJ. But I am so excited to do IVF because it is much more controlled. No more cancelling cycles because of over stimming. No more follicle reductions. No more spending money on a 15- 20% chance. No more worrying that I will have high order multiples!

    Ofcourse it's up to you and your comfort level. I am just so jealous your insurance covers 3 cycles!! ;)

    Congrats on getting your appt moved up! WOO HOOO

    ReplyDelete