Monday, February 27, 2012

Retrieval, Check.

And everything went really well! I'll probably make this fast because I think that a nap is in order...

So the doctor who did the retrieval was super nice and the nurses were all great too-definitely calmed me down. The drugs they gave me were outstanding, lol. I went off to a nice sleep and woke up pretty easily, without feeling drugged.

In the end, we got 21 eggs. I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see how many fertilized. I am trying to mentally prepare myself, because I know that a fairly large number may not actually fertilize. And of those that do, even less will become healthy blasts.

It's so weird to think of my eggs, soon to be fertilized, as not being *in* me any longer. It's odd to think of all this stuff happening at a clinic 10 miles from my house. It's strange to me to think of someone bent over our embryos, studying their characteristics. It's just all so foreign. But it's the end result that I need to keep in my sights.

So I'm going to get some sleep now, and drink a ridiculous amount of SmartWater too. I am armed with Dostinex and Lovenox to hopefully prevent OHSS. I *seriously* hope I do not get it. Sending up a little prayer for our little embryos....

2 comments:

  1. Glad it went so well! 21 eggs is a great number. Rest up and recover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! Feeling *very* bloated at the moment...thinking that I'll take tomorrow off. Btw-I was reading some of your older blog posts and had to laugh at how you described "Dr. Gere". So freaking funny-and accurate! The guy is a squirrel...sort of a hippy genius. You forgot to mention the really horrible coffee breath though, lol.

    ReplyDelete